Originally Posted by ultramarina
Anyway, what I was going to say is that music is kind of a non-issue at this age but you might want to make sure she's seen Frozen, etc and the standard popular movies. It might be good to have some vague familiarity with popular iPad games, too. I mean, if this kind of thing concerns you.

+1

Most kids around that age do not know how to talk music. I wouldn't worry about your DD standing out in a negative way because she likes classical music or pop music from a different era.

From what I've seen, social currencies in K/1 are movies (and its soundtrack so that's where music sort of comes in but not really), TV shows, and iPad games. LEGO and Minecraft tend to kick in around age 8.

Generally speaking, 5/6 year olds don't have in-depth discussions or form cliques based on social or cultural identities. DD has a friend who is a huge fan of Disney princesses. DD loves Frozen but she doesn't like or really know other princesses. Nevertheless, they still manage to play all day long together and the difference in their taste has never been an issue.