Originally Posted by FruityDragons
Get that girl some Miles Davis, Frank Sinatra, Foo Fighters, Dream Theater, Audioslave, Piano Guys, Pentatonix, Yo-Yo Ma, Carlos Santana, Tiesto, AC/DC, etc. Sample widely across genres. Have fun!
I wouldn't say music particularly matters either, at least not till kids are older. Among older (maybe 4th/5th grade, middle school, etc) kids, there is actually a subset of kids to whom Piano Guys are very much a thing. No one would listen to the classical music station or anything, but definitely a step up from Lady Gaga-type.
I'm not sure music even matters that much to many teenagers these days. Back when I was a teen what type of music you liked was one of the things that defined you. But to my DD16 and many of his friends, music isn't that important in their lives. They care about video games and movies a lot more than music. My son plays music and enjoys many different kinds of music, he just doesn't collect music, go to shows, spend money on music or talk about it with his friends. There are teenagers who are still very music focused and go to shows but the breadth and type of media out there is so much more than music. The latest YouTube viral video seems more important in their lives that the latest pop band.

Music isn't a big issue with early elementary age kids. If you care if will be able to relate to her peers I would expose her to Disney films, and other current kids movies/tv shows. The pre-K girls I know are all MAD about Frozen.