Originally Posted by ultramarina
We are having a great deal of difficulty with DD at home right now, so some part of me wants a lot more info on how things are at school. However, I don't think this teacher likes her, so I'm hesitant to go in and say "Really? You don't see any of xyz negative behavior at school??"

Depending on the child, there's a high likelihood that the teacher does not see any of those behaviors that you see at home. It definitely happened with my DD. When I described the daily emotional meltdowns she was having over spilled milk (yes, literally), they looked at me like I was visiting them from another planet. When I told them how much she hated school, they said she seemed happy. They did describe a child who was shy with teachers and didn't seem to be connecting with the other children, which I don't recognize in my slightly guarded, social butterfly DD (she'll watch you for a bit before deciding if she wants to be friends, but then it's on).

The reason we were talking about two different kids is that my DD was trying so hard to be "good" at school, despite being so unhappy with a whole day of learning zilch. By the time she got home, she couldn't stand the pressure anymore. Several times she didn't even make it in the front door before she blew, and the bus stop was only three doors down.

So, yeah... if your DD is one that puts a high value on "being good" and blending into the crowd, your teacher might be seeing a kid you wouldn't recognize as your own.

Last edited by Dude; 01/08/13 09:48 AM.