Sigh--we're facing this again over here. It's conference time, but we got an email from DD's teacher saying DD has straight As and the teacher has no significant concerns, so she feels there is no need for a conference. We are having a great deal of difficulty with DD at home right now, so some part of me wants a lot more info on how things are at school. However, I don't think this teacher likes her, so I'm hesitant to go in and say "Really? You don't see any of xyz negative behavior at school??" Since we also are still thinking she may have ADHD or an ASD (highly functional, if so), I'd also like to ask her for gut feelings on DD's social/emotional function. However, again, I worry about putting more negative thoughts into this teacher's head.

(insert endless thought loop here re: Can she possibly have ADHD if she is getting straight As in a gifted magnet and is only MG??)

One significant trouble area is homework; DD gets about 1.5 hours of it a day, and getting her to do it is a battle. I feel the HW is NOT APPROPRIATE, period, but the school (a gifted magnet) seems to be lockstep in requiring this. DD has no apparent learning issues, so I don't have any reason to request exemption from any of this.

Last edited by ultramarina; 01/08/13 08:15 AM.