We just had ours yesterday. So frustrating... we had to break up a an actual productive conversation with the SW and spec ed teacher about appropriate differentiation and accommodations so we could all walk down the hall for our 15 minute "conference" with the teacher. She doesn't get it - any of it. Not the giftedness. Not the disabilities. Not the anxiety. Not the big, cheerful, outgoing personality. None of it. I heard how slow DD is to put her things away in the morning. (Yeah, she's dyspraxic - she does everything slowly.) I heard about how amazingly insightful her comments were during a recent discussion about a book. (Uh, yeah, she's gifted that way - remember?) I heard about her "adjusting nicely to second grade" and "feeling comfortable now speaking up which she never was before." (Yeah - right. My unbelievably extroverted child who was just telling us last weekend how relieved she is that the awful public shaming system was *finally* removed from her classroom. "It was awful" and "I was nervous ALL the time". Glad she is feeling SOOOO comfortable in your classroom that you have finally broken down her wall so she can be comfortable contributing to your "discussions".) All we heard about was how DD was doing according to typical second grade standards. Unfortunately n-o-t-h-i-n-g about DD is "typical" for a second grader.

Total. Waste. Of. Time. Ugghhh...

Maybe this above a "C" standard would sound different to parents of more typical kids. In a situation as complicated as ours a 15 minute summary of totally useless information was pretty pointless. It just highlighted how tough a road we have ahead of us.