That's great that you got your son out there. Sports are an issue in our house, too. We have been waffling for the last year or so on how much to push on getting DS4 out there. It's good to hear about your positive experience.

My DS4 sounds like your son and his "i can learn by watching" comment. DH was big into hockey, and wanted DS4 to be too. He got him skates when he was 2! (of course the smallest skates didn't fit DS until he was late 3). DH signed him up for the hockey clinic in our hockey town, and it was a disaster. He did not want to try something new in front of so many other people. So DH, not one for giving up on his Stanley cup dreams for DS, built a rink in the back yard and gave DS the choice of having hockey practice at the arena or in the backyard. He of course chose the back yard. Once DS was pretty stable on the skates, he said, "Dad, I don't really like hockey. I want to play soccer."

We've had issues with Y classes too, because there are too many kids. Since he's just 4, and small for his age, I haven't wanted to force the issue too much, but I do really want him to try things I know he'll like.

BTW, the HS olympics sounds fabulous!