CFK - I definitely wonder the same thing. There are children and parents at our public school at all ends of the spectrum that have similar concerns and issues. Our school seems to be really great for self motivated, teacher pleasing types of kids.

I just really question the entire model they are using at our school. It seems very inefficient. Not to mention our particular grade has large classes - 26 per first grade class.

I know there are kids at our school that would be better served elsewhere - the GT magnet or another public school. But a lot of families have 2 full time working parents and can't drive across town twice a day or want have their child spending 1 1/2 on the bus a day. Or they lost the lottery like us on getting into their magnet.

What has pushed me over the edge is our son not only hates any academic part of school (he likes gym and recess!), he is truly not learning anything. I have not seen him bring one thing home this year that really looks like new material for him. If either part of that equation weren't there, we'd look harder at making it work.