Well, I think we have to look at each individual case. But I've heard a lot more people here saying, "Am I a bad parent? Is this GTness relevant or not?" than I have heard people ignoring behavioral or other problems.

Granted, we're all self-reporting, but there seems to be a lot of introspection here about cause and effect. That usually works as an antidote to the sort of indulgence you're suggesting.

We all know indulgent parents though, and it's ugly when it happens. On a playdate, one GT child hit my son in the face with a toy--hard!--and the mom said, "Well, that was wrong, *but* he's had a rough time with the death of his grandmother...If he gets teased he acts out...etc." (Harumph! I was standing right there, and there was no teasing. I'd have stopped my son if there had been. It was a totally unprovoked act that was frankly shocking in its violence. And if the kid is having a reaction THAT inappropriate to his grandmother's death, he should be seeing a therapist and not having playdates!) Of course, in the face of such maternal waffling, the child wouldn't apologize. Obviously, that was our last playdate with that family!

Kids need limits. All kids! GT kids are still kids! But I think there are loads of obstacles facing HG+ kids, and we're not doing them a disservice by removing a few of them along the way if removing them makes the kids stronger, more capable, more positively self-aware (as opposed to prideful), and/or better able to contribute positively to society.

Just my opinion...

Kriston