Originally Posted by st pauli girl
Re: Kriston/OHGrandma - raising future adults. I have a concern that come from my parents' support of me. They always told me I could be whatever I wanted to be. I always thought this was very cool of them. But this caused problems when it turned out I was pretty good at everything, and I couldn't decide on what I really wanted to do for work. I still don't know. How do you prepare your kids for this possibility or avoid it?

What I've read is that most people do indeed do what they are 'best' at, but that for broadly Gifted children they have far too many choices. The trick is to do a career that agrees with their values. I loved reading this because looking back, that's what I did - I looked at the career in terms of how it serves other people and how I get satisfaction from serving.

I knew I'd need to interact one-to-one, in a fairly consentrated and hands-on way, and that I'd love interacting a large number of people. I knew that the job had to be one that supported me while being unambiguously helpful for the people I served. I looked at all the grown ups around me and analysed what they did in terms of my values. The only mistake I made was totally missing how satisfying parenting would be - that's the job that lights up all my 'delighted challenge' meter bulbs.

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com