Originally Posted by petunia
So, to sum up, next steps:
1. start the Strattera
2. talk hubby into NP eval
3. do lots of positive reinforcement
4. try to implement more structure and organization
5. look for a behavioral therapist
6. consider an OT eval

Those are good steps. I might put 5 before 3, but that's me. 2 still seems really crucial.

Think I said this a ways upstream, but Strattera is at least the right med to try first with an anxious kid. I wouldn't try a stimulant ADHD med with a kid who tends to be anxious and act out unless other options are exhausted first and there's a plan for addressing the anxiety.

I've found a neurophsych but the wait time is forever.

Do they run a cancellation list? People often cancel, leaving them with evaluation slots open. That's how we got DS's done relatively quickly.

Also: try the autism center of a children's hospital. They will at least have several clinicians.

We spoke to the psychiatrist... He thinks the Strattera can help and doesn't think we need more evaluation but I'm not convinced. ... I also asked him about ASDs and he said that even if my son is diagnosed with Aspergers, he would treat it the same way. Medication and then organization and planning help, as well as behavior modification.

Well, yeah, the general outline is the same-- except that the kind of behavior modification that you need may be different with an ADHD vs. an ASD diagnosis. The particulars are quite different.

In addition, if you are treating an ASD with meds (keeping in mind that there is no med that is specifically approved for that) it is more typical to start with an anti-anxiety med (often an SSRI unless there is a family history of bipolar or other contraindications)-- so knowing what you are dealing with definitely matters. IMHO.

This is in part a difference of professional discipline. In general a psychiatrist's first line of attack is medication. In general a psychologist's first line of attack is behavior modification strategies, talk therapy, that sort of thing, depending on their training and expertise. For my money, the psychiatrist's perspective is a little limited here.

Hang in there. I think you're on the right road.
DeeDee

ETA: this is not to suggest that the Strattera is a bad idea. In fact, I think it could be a good thing to try given what you have said here so far. Only to suggest that the psychiatrist isn't spot on about treating ADHD and ASD being the same.

Last edited by DeeDee; 09/25/12 04:19 PM.