ColinsMum...I do think the situation is not ideal, in that she should be doing much more challenging work. I still don't think I would characterize the behaviors themselves as defiant...

But I DO feel like she could at least fake it and I cannot possibly fathom why she won't do that. And I don't know how much more strongly I could make my displeasure known without harming the child. I actually think the school SHOULD deal with it, but, like I said, there seems to be no real lasting consequences in the classroom. And we don't have to deal with these things in the home setting because she is quite compliant with me...

She's NOT at all interested in what is going on in the classroom, what the teacher is saying, etc.

I made a comment once that it was like she had already done a cost/benefit analysis of her whole life and has decided that its ok with her to suffer the consequences of losing privileges, games, toys, etc. SHe will be compliant long enough to earn them back, then it starts all over again.

I'm so sad now...I really don't like her right now. How can an 8yo make me so miserable?

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...