ok I can't believe that my kid only goes to "school" three hours a week and the teacher is complaining about her behavior now!

Yesterday, the teacher tells me Butter (8/3rd) is not always listening in class and often has to be asked several times to "get on the same page" with other students. After mulling this over all morning, I asked for specifics when I came back to pick her up...

Coloring on her nails during science...asked to put down (or stop messing with) a pile of pencils, she put them down, but kept her fingers on them.

I guess the second is closer to what I would call defiance, but the first surely is NOT...to me, defiance is temper tantrums, bothering other students, telling the teacher you REFUSE to do something, etc...these other things, to me, are signs of a bored child trying to occupy her mind...

I'm sure they are NOT providing GT cirriculum...I will be booking a meeting with the school's GT coordinator (now that I have SEEN the school's GT plan and know who to go to)...we were already turned down for a grade skip (I was actually scoffed at and told the outside private testing meant nothing)...and the Developmental Behavior doctor even said Butter should be allowed to work at her own (accelerated) pace.

People keep TELLING me that I need to teach Butter to just "deal with being bored" at times, but no one seems to have any REAL suggestions to make that happen. And honestly, there are only like 13 kids and they are there for 3 hours. How is there even an opportunity to be bored?

She behaves beautifully for me, I could probably count on one hand the times she has really been willfully disobedient or defiant. Tactics that work at home won't be applied at school and I'm still confused about how exactly I am supposed to MAKE her "behave" when I am not even there?!?!

Maybe the real problem is that these teachers expect some kind of blind obedience? How is coloring on one's fingernails "defiant"?

Last edited by 2giftgirls; 02/28/12 03:27 PM.

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...