Originally Posted by master of none
If she were my child (and my child is very similar), I'd work with her to get her to behave. I know it's not easy, but it's a question of respect for the teacher and class and setting aside her own wants and needs to comply with the class. Many will disagree with me, but I believe if a child CAN comply and it's something reasonable (not evil,not degrading, etc), they should do it. That's an important skill to learn IMO and if she can learn it she should.

I agree. 2giftgirls, this is the second set of teachers (in addition to the scout leaders) who have identified issues in group settings for your DD, right? I'd start to take seriously that this is something to work on.

Minority opinion: nearly all real-world settings have some boring stuff. Most jobs require paying attention to boring as well as interesting stuff. (If there is a job somewhere that is 100% interesting, no paperwork, no scutwork, I'd love to know what it is.) Part of growing up is learning to deal with the gotta-dos so you can get to the wanna-dos when they are available.

Looking attentive is itself a skill; valuable, for instance, in workplace meetings. And important, as MON said, for showing respect to the speaker. Your DD seems not to understand the expectations of the classroom setting: one is supposed to pay attention and look like one is paying attention. That is very hard for some kids, but worth learning to do.

My DS9 has serious compliance issues arising from his AS. We are gradually teaching him to get on board with the group; the newest task is that even if he knows 90% of the material, he should still be listening and learning the 10% he doesn't know. It has required serious classroom support to get him here, but I anticipate that he will master this skill, and I believe it is a skill that will make him employable. I do not believe that this will wash out his creativity or dull his unusual interests; but it will help him know when to deploy them, and that's good.

DeeDee