Originally Posted by sweetpeas
Er... I don't know any adult that associates "special educational needs" with derogatory stereotypes. Not a single one.

If I worked in an office where that would be the expected response, I would most definitely find another job.

Special ed. and special needs mean low IQ. Sure, gifted kids have special educational requirements, but the term is used in the United States to mean low IQ and/or significant learning disabilities.

Low IQ (special ed. and special needs kids) face barriers that gifted kids just don't, even if they're 2E. Trying to redefine the terms by saying that gifted kids also are "special needs" could come across as a veiled attempt to pique someone's curiosity and as stealth bragging (my kid has special needs but not those kinds of special needs). Not saying that's the intent. Just saying, as has been noted here, that someone could reasonably infer it.

I think that's what Iucounou was getting at (correct me if I'm wrong). It was a kind of a subtle point in its own in-your-face way. Sometimes a jarring statement gets people thinking.

Last edited by Val; 02/09/12 01:16 PM. Reason: Clarity