I was happy when I realized my child was intelligent, but what I wanted more for her was a happy, 'normal' life, I can't imagine anyone wishing what some of our gifted kids go through for their child.

We've only just been given the official 'gifted' label, and I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around it because I've been so conditioned to not talk about it. When she started reading and writing at 4 and I mentioned it to her pediatrician he was very stern about not trying to make out she was something she wasn't, and my friends with older kids were quick to point out that other parents don't want to hear about what your kid is doing when their own isn't there yet. One of those parents btw, is constantly posting about their kids athletic achievements on Facebook, something my kid will never experience, but I don't chide them for it!

I'm ashamed of myself for hiding it, but I just don't want to add another level of stress to my life by talking about it, because there's no way it will be construed as anything other than bragging.

Last edited by kikiandkyle; 02/02/12 04:13 PM.