Originally Posted by ABQMom
My response thoroughly offended her, but I felt it needed said. "Anyone who wishes giftedness on their child has no idea the cost they are exacting on their child. A high IQ is not a ticket to being special or successful. It is simply the way a child is born, and with it usually comes challenges socially and emotionally that most children will never face. I wouldn't wish it on any child, but I embrace it completely in my own, because that is the way he's made. And I will do everything I have to to make sure he gets the services he needs to be successful."

I really don't agree with this. Other things being equal, it is better to be very smart than average in intelligence, just as it is better to be very attractive or very athletic than average in the domains of looks or athleticism.

I *did* want to increase my chances of having gifted children, and that's partly why I emphasized intelligence in potential spouses.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell