Many of my concerns about video games relate to the pacing and potential affects on the brain as well as acting as a captivating draw that may prevent a child from learning to deal with boredom or engage in play that requires more skill areas such as sensory, motor skills, etc.

Yes, this is where I am, too. I also agree that limited screentime is fine in its place as a break for the parents or as lightweight enjoyment. I do think it's possible to learn from some educational stuff, and some films are thematically and visually rich, but generally I don't count on it on to do any of that, though it might a little. I also have exposed my kids to some popular stuff purely in the name of social capital. (Which reminds me that DD is probably ready to watch Star Wars by now.)

I also have to agree about kids who do not know how to play. I have had kids come over to my house and seem not to know what to do in our backyard, which has a treehouse, swing and trapeze, tons of cool outdoor toys, sand area, chickens, and so on. They wander around blankly for a bit, swing for a few minutes, and come inside and ask to watch TV or play Wii (we do have a Wii, which spends a lot of time sitting). Oh, they do usually like the bikes and scooters, though--I notice those are still popular with almost every kid.

My kids drive me crazy a lot and are challenging little critters, but one thing they do not do is say they are bored or rely solely on me for entertainment. It could certainly be personality, but I have very deliberately cultivated this as much as I possibly can.

There is so much evidence--mountains of it, really--about the congitive and socioemotional benefits of free, unstructured play. We have very little showing benefits for screen activities. There may BE benefits, but right now there sure isn't a consensus.

Last edited by ultramarina; 01/30/12 07:23 AM.