I guess my skepticism comes from this - I do not automatically accept that studies that are done on the "masses" necessarily hold true for gifted kids. I'm not doubting the stats are out there; I'd just be curious whether any of those studies target high IQ children.

I went to college to be a special ed teacher and spent my pre-kid years working with behavior disordered students, so I am very aware of the studies about video games and violence and watching TV and all of it, but I think that across-the-board assumptions don't always hold true for kids with much higher than average IQ's.

My kids were EXHAUSTING when they were toddlers, and their quest for knowledge was insatiable. Even their play was more intense than my friends' kids. They didn't do anything in moderation - it was all forces ahead from the time they woke up until they went to bed. And they all quit needing naps long before I did.

The time they spent on the computer let them continue to learn, explore, express, create, etc. when I was too wiped out to be fully engaged with them any more. I was a stay-at-home mom with all of them, and I wouldn't change a minute of the time I spent with them - but I also know that a lot more was demanded of me physically, mentally, and emotionally because I had three gifted kids. There is no way I could've provided the amount of learning they wanted in a day without having a nervous breakdown, so allowing them access to screen time let them explore until they were satiated. We did the baking together, going to the park, playing with friends, reading books, going to the library, telling stories, etc., but screen time let them go further on their own.