My daughter honestly isn't trying to find anything in terms of art stuff. She's happy with her 3-d materials. She likes to design avatars and fashions online sometimes. I don't mind her doing this occasionally--we all need time to have fun--but I don't consider it high-quality creating.

For anything dynamic, the screen is superior to clay, stone, paint, or pencil, and for me, that makes the screen the more thrilling option.

Do you mean you find the screen more thrilling than real-life artists' works? Or that you find it more thrilling to screate on-screen?

. Keep looking if you haven't found what you like, I say. It's there but you might have to hunt for it and really dig.

With all due respect, why? When we have so many other things DD enjoys and that excite her (Legos, art materials, outside play, books), I can't get motivated to dig for the good stuff. I have some things bookmarked that look nice, but as yet we have found nothing that really excites her and is educational and has staying power. She likes birds, and there is some nice bird stuff, but as with so many other things on the web, I find it isn't curated all that well. There's a site with videos of birds from all over the world, but many are not that great and so you sit there and spend time watching 5 enh 2-minute videos and one good one. It doesn't feel like a good use of time. Same with YouTube and stuff for my ocean-obsessed 3yo. I have to watch a lot of enh stuff to find something really good.

It's not that I don't appreciate a really good website or really cool tool. I am extremely grateful for Wikipedia and Khan Academy, believe me! But I think sometimes that people love this stuff BECAUSE it's on the computer and is pretty and shiny and multi-colored and bells and whistles. That isn't enough for me.

Last edited by ultramarina; 01/23/12 11:35 AM.