Originally Posted by ultramarina
I don't know--do we know they "all turned out okay"? None of them had ADHD, or obesity, or depression, or aggression problems, or anxiety? They certainly turned out SMART--but gifted does not, of course, equal "okay"...

Totally anecdotal - my kids - all gifted - have had access to computers since they were born. We never limited screen time, but we did filter content. The two older kids are both adults. Neither are obese, aggressive, depressed or anxious. Both kids have ranked as youths in the top ten in the nation in their sport and served as team captains and coaches, both have held down part-time jobs while attending college (my son works for me creating mobile apps for businesses) and both have received awards within their own creative interests. And I've recently discovered that my older son is in the top 100 out of millions of players on Call of Duty, yet it's never inspired violence or inappropriate behavior in real life.

Computers are a tool. Each of us as parents get to choose what fits best within our parenting style and lifestyle choices, but it isn't black and white that we should all eschew computers or that we all must adopt technology at a vigorous rate.