I actually think there is a difference, at least with kids under 6, I think i feel differently about older kids, but I noticed that with small children who watch a lot of television it structured their imagination much more than books do. Kids being Dora or the cars from cars. It's just not been my experience that kids read Olivia and then incorporate her into imaginary play the way kids who just saw her on tv did. Plus we're have been recent studies showing that very young kids learn by hearing and watching lips so tv is less effective at conveying ideas. Perhaps they get so stupefied because they are trying to figure it out.

I am definitely not in the all electronics is evil camp, more of a moderation believer. And i love my ipad and its apps. But I think it's more problematic when it dominates, in a way I would not say about a kid who only reads. Of course,I am now fighting that battle so i am being a bit of a hypocrite as i yank books away "forcing" my kid to do something physical, I am often saying yes you must put the book down now!

DeHe

Last edited by DeHe; 01/28/12 05:20 PM. Reason: My iPad is ruining my ability to spell!