I consider myself an anti-theist. Because I hold this comparatively extreme view and because I take it very seriously (and find it a fascinating area to study), I have undertaken in-depth formal study in theology and philosophy of religion. I won't go in to my personal feelings about religion, because I don't think this is the place for it. However I did just want to say, for those who are interested, there is an excellent book called "Reading Philosophy of Religion", by Graham Oppy and Michael Scott that provides a very impartial look at both sides of the major arguments for and against monotheism and polytheism (Oppy is an athiest, but is very careful to show where atheistic arguments fail too). It's an excellent resource for tackling tricky questions (both for and against belief)

I did just want to say that while I personally have very strong concerns about the role of religion in any society, I do feel that faith is a very personal thing, so I don't shove my own views down dd's throat, though I am perhaps not as impressively impartial as some here - though I also explain why people's faith is meaningful and important to them smile

In terms of participating in traditions, dd has friends from a variety of different religious backgrounds and they tell her about their beliefs and their families include her in some of their traditions. As a result dd is part of lots of communities, experiences other people's traditions and we have our own traditions with friends and family - which are meaningful to us.

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke