Originally Posted by Kerry
Our thoughts were (and still are) that it is important for them to have knowledge of what a religion is all about and then when they are adults they can make the decision whether or not they believe what they have been taught.

The day of my Catholic Confirmation (17 years old) was also the day I realized I was an atheist. Unfortunately, my parents were not open to that position. I would have felt so much relief if I could have said "Mom, Dad... I've decided. I don't believe." Instead I continued to play along for a while, avoiding the pending dispute.

Recently my Mom said that raising my children without religion is abusive. My oldest is 2.5 years so this isn't much of an issue yet, but I don't plan to hide religion or faith from my children. I'll teach them about God concepts, and point out that some family members believe, and that others don't. The choice is ultimately up to them. I wont, however, expose them to strangers claiming to speak the truth with certainty while they are still young and impressionable.