I'm a little late to the discussion since I haven't touched the computer all weekend. I too don't mean to offend but want to offer our experience. My husband does not practice any religion. I also am culturally Catholic. Our local Catholic Church is much more conservative than the one from my childhood. I am not completely accord with their teachings but find comfort in the rituals and space to contemplate my own actions.

I have tried to have DD9 do the Catholic rituals for cultural reasons. I have tried answering her questions and explaining the things to her that I do and don't agree with. The very act of questioning is not welcomed in our local church. She started pointing out that my "pick and choose" attitude is hypocritical and does not jibe with what they say in church. At this point, she cannot accept my abstractions. She is very concrete minded about religion right now -- no symbolism, either things did or didn't happen the way that they say. Recently, she said that, if true, the stories in Bible were the creepiest things that she had ever heard, particularly various miracles. I am finding that her questions are only getting more and more difficult. I am questioning my decision to raise her in a church that espouses some views that I do not accept completely myself.