I don't have kids, but I am excited to see this discussion. Until I read _Living with Intensity_, it was like religion and giftedness were mutually exclusive. I grew up in the Bible Belt, and wanted to shake things up by inviting a Catholic Priest and a Rabbi to speak at my public school's Religious Emphasis Week. Traditionally, we had a different fundamentalist preacher speak every day of this week. Likewise, sunday schools as a general rule aim kind of low when planning their lessons.

I teach 6th grade world history in a public school. Major world religions are part of our content standards. I ask students to compile similar information (sacred texts, gods and goddesses, worship, impact on daily lives, afterlife) for each of the religions.

Our history textbook is not terribly helpful for this kind of information. For one thing, it won't touch controversy with a five-foot pole. Every once in awhile, I have to fill in a blank for students out of my own exposure to other religions. Still looking for a good age-appropriate source on the Muslim afterlife, for example.

Still, Cobblestone publishing sells back issues of Calliope and other magazines devoted to major world religions, and occasionally puts some of those articles on the web. Here are some about Buddhism for example:

http://www.cricketmag.com/1871