My 4 yr old asked me what we are, I said we're people, we're human people. �He said we've got to be more than that. �What else are we? �I said you, your dad, and Esperanza and Wella are hispanic, but I'm not, but all of us are Americans. �He said, we must be scientists, because scientists take notes and investigate. �(PBS Sid the Science kid et. al). �
If we were religious I would probably have interpreted this question as deep and mystical and thought that sharing my beliefs was answering his question. �As it is, I realized later, I think this was from the ongoing conversation about the catchy jingle, "We are farmers. Bump ba dum da dump dump dump."�

I answered culturally because I heard him saying, "we're not just people what else are we?" and thought he meant what groups are we part of? �(military heritage on my side, hispanic heritage from his dad and our town) �really I think he meant we are not farmers. �Farmers kill the cows for us to eat so we don't have to. �What are we? �but I wasn't thinking about that commercial at that time

Science is an interesting thing. �We did Supercharged Science robots lab over the summer. �I just bought him a chemistry set, minus any chemistry, to practice pouring water around ---(like Waldorf preschool and Piaget's volume conservation, lol, kinda). �[Linked Image from i945.photobucket.com]

Well, he's been asking all summer to "do pouring science". �I thought, well, let's practice the pouring part first, lol.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar