interesting...

I too do not want to offend, but I tend to say things that sometimes do so, anyway...

I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic school until 6th grade. DH is from rural Vermont, never went to any church or practiced any organized religion. We are raising our children without religion, but DD4.5 does go to a Christian school where they start the day with a Bible story...one of the happy Jesus types though, not the gloom and doom kind...

Last year, DD was in a similar spot, with friends making the FC. She had also just finished reading all the Percy Jackson books. One day, I go to volunteer in the classroom and one of the kids asks me "Why does Butter hate God?" Of course, I am shocked by this. "The H word" is something I discourage the use of and I was sure this kid must be mistaken. When Butter's group (most advanced reading group, 4 of 5 tested gate last year) comes to me, I ask her about it and this starts a religious discusson in which SDMom's son, Mr B, says he had FC when he was 2 (I think he is mistaken until I find out later they go to a Christian church where all comers can take communion-had to explain what FIRST Communion was)...I would say ALL religions are represented well in our school, but the use of hate bothered me...
When I ask the child about it later, at home, she tells me she actually said "God is boring and we should go back to worshipping the Greek gods. They were far more interesting." After I recover from laughing, I explain to her how some of her friends take their faith/religious beliefs very seriously. I did at that age. I think her friends were disturbed that they might not see her in heaven, that she has to be careful about what she says sometimes (is it any wonder the kids tells me she feels different? sigh)

Is your daughter asking questions or is this mostly your dilemma? If she is not questioning, but accepting, then I would just go with it. I personally see the Bible itself similar to a book of fairy tales (again-no offense meant!) that are meant to guide people in decision making...stories of "look what happens when you are cruel to others" and things like that.
If she is questioning, I would probably take that to your catechism teacher...I think it has a lot to do with your DD's personality too...is she a "head down" kind or the kind that stands out? Is she likely to pose a question in class that leads to a full on theological debate?

Last edited by 2giftgirls; 11/06/11 05:18 AM. Reason: typo

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...