Originally Posted by Speechie
Yes! I really enjoy the questions and then the challenge it is for ME to try and find a creative meaningful answer!! LOL
For example, when my 2 yo really wondered what God looks like, does he have feet, how can he be all around all the time if I can't see him....etc. I found myself enjoying coming up with answered that helped him grasp the concept- so I told him how the air was around, we can breathe it, the wind blows and we can feel it, but it's not visible- and related that to God- satisfied him for a while- but I DO love their questions! smile

When I was a child, a really old lady (who lived another 30 years, so why I remember her as really old, I don't know :)) asked us how we knew we had a toothache - because you can feel the pain - how do other people know you have a toothache - they can't see it or feel it - they have to believe or take it on faith - just like you have to do with God.

It stayed with me - and as now a person of science - its still there, how do we know what we know to be true.

DS 5.5 is also super sciency, have the most recent NOVA with Brian Greene taped, we're very excited to watch it - he interestingly does not yet question the discontinuities between religions and science. But he is not in school for that yet - we punted, not sure how hard the gifted K would be in terms of doing after school. So he is more attentive to the more public aspects - how many religions are there, what are the differences, why are they different

Then again, he knows all about DNA and genetics - but has no idea how that sperm and egg meet - we started with him at 2 with a bit of mommy and a bit of daddy - and he asks tons of questions about the uterus and everything - so fascinatingly detailed - but never asked how it got in there so we never told him. I was doing the whole, answer the questions he asks, approach and he asks a ton of q's about everything and we always answer them LOL but in that area he did not ask for specificity. And when I accidentally revealed that Cyberchase is not a real place (hysterical panicked thread here somewhere) - he actually rejected the cognitive dissonance until he could handle it.

I agree, I love the interesting q's - when DS was younger, that was one of the things that really stood out for me, the questions the moms at pre-k got versus the ones I got!

DeHe