Originally Posted by Dude
Depending on the age, I really don't see the faith component as being all that difficult for kids. There's a huge portion of a child's development where they rely on their parents for information, and if a parent said it, it must be true. Isn't that just like faith in the divine? And if a parent says God exists, then their faith in their parents as authoritative sources of information gives becomes faith in God.

I guess that's one of the things that bothers me the most about religion and kids: this practice amounts to teaching kids to believe whatever (even in the absence of evidence) because someone in authority said so. smile

FWIW, my eldest was questioning religious belief on his own when he was five and a half-ish. At that time, he started asking a lot of questions about god. I believe that people should make decisions about religion for themselves, and was strictly neutral with him whenever this topic came up (as was my husband). Example: some people believe x, some believe y. Some people believe in a place called heaven, where....

He weighed the ideas for a while, and by the time he was six or so, he had decided in favor of heavy agnosticism. It's been over five years and he hasn't changed his mind.

Most outsiders can't imagine that such a young child could make an informed decision about religious belief, and insist that his parents did it (this reaction reminds me of the he's-not-gifted-you-just-hothoused-him argument). We didn't, and he did make that decision.

I think these reactions were partially due to the idea that religious belief/faith should be the default in a child. I disagree, and wonder, "Why?"

Last edited by Val; 12/22/11 10:48 AM. Reason: Clarity