Originally Posted by intparent
Arrggghhh.....

The abilities of schools to destroy enthusiasm for learning never ceases to amaze me. The Simpsons? Seriously?

I'm also feeling somewhat bummed out right now for similar reasons. My son is in a glacially-paced geometry class and the school allowed him to study independently about two months into the year. I waited three weeks to get an answer from his teacher (including one blown-off appointment on her part) about what she expected from him. She finally told me that he'd have to take all the tests and quizzes with the other kids and that his grade would be based "solely on tests and quizzes." Fine. Works for us. My son is finally enthusiastic about math again and got a 99% on the final.

But she changed her mind about how she was going to grade him and added in his marks for homework and participation early in the grading period. He apparently hadn't participated enough and had a D when he changed to independent study. She froze his mark there, told me only tests and quizzes would count, and doesn't seem to want to offer a way for him to improve it. Grr. I asked her if she could reconsider and haven't heard a word. No surprises there. So tomorrow I'll have to try to deal with this in person with her and/or the principal.

This would not be a big deal but for the fact that it's going to keep him from getting an A (he's one point away now) and may also keep him off the high honor roll. He really wanted this and it's going to really hurt him.

This is the same teacher who once announced that there's no such thing as a "mathy mind."

I am just so tired of dealing with teachers who are clueless about smart kids, spout misinformation, are not educated in the subjects they teach, and are smug in their ignorance. Too many teachers and administrators are this way --- yet they expect everyone to treat them like "professionals" in spite of the fact that so many of them clearly are not. News flash: being a professional means doing your job well, sticking to your promises, not blowing people off, and doing your best to ensure that you aren't repeating misinformation, among other things. It is not an honor forever bestowed because you have an M.Ed.

People may find this remark offensive, but the fact is that it's true, and is moreover an elephant in the room of education. No one is allowed to say this stuff out loud without getting blasted for "bashing teachers." Yet they and their principals are allowed to bash us and our kids every day when they parrot edu-dogma like "there's no such thing as a mathy mind," "there's no such thing as talent," or "they all even out by third grade."

Arrrgggghhhh indeed.

Last edited by Val; 12/13/11 06:53 PM.