Smallish school (only about 60 kids per graduating class). They offer a few APs (for seniors only). And they are kind of snobby about what they consider to be the high quality of their English program. They prefer to think that the kids get more out of going in-depth vs. the fast pace AP classes require. The 9th and 10th grade English teachers are exceptional, and manage to pull off in-depth AND pretty fast paced. This 11th grade teacher is just not of the same caliber. The school does offer honors classes in math & sciences. But not English or Social Studies.

Honestly, this is sort of the story of D's life (and many gifted kids), that she is ready to go at a faster pace and is frustrated when the group around her and the teacher are moving more slowly. It happens almost every year in almost every class, so it is not a new experience for her. But this year she sort of snapped. She LOVES English, and was so miserable that she decided to speak up. I didn't discourage her; there are situations in life when you have to put up with this, but I don't see why this should be one of them. Now she is still frustrated, and angry, and embarrassed to have drawn the attention to herself on top of that.

It is a K-12 school, and she has been there since K. I am sorry now that we did not consider moving her to one of the larger private schools in town with more extensive course offerings when she hit high school (or even at the beginning of this year).