Just off the phone with the principal at the local public - explained the situation and made an appointment to meet tomorrow. I think she gets it - she said herself that placing DD in the right classroom will be huge. I also mentioned a gifted friend of DD who will also be in 1st grade next year as a possible enrichment partner and she is going to look at where that girl is placed to see if it looks like a good place for DD too. All good things.

The school psych and special ed coordinator are both on vacation for the next 2 weeks so we won't have an actual IEP in hand until just before school starts. Even then it will be more general as they want the classroom teacher and resource teacher from the school to be involved in determining actual services. Yes there will be classroom accommodations for reading, writing and anxiety and 2 1/2 hours of pull out special ed each week. I am concerned because they mentioned pulling her out during "comprehension" tasks since she is ahead there anyway. I pointed out that she would still need comprehension work just not at a typical 1st grade level. And yes, they did say that she would likely be in a low level reading group which I envision causing problems.

The reading gets even more confusing because we enrolled her in fun, low pressure parent/child reading program this summer and they placed her reading at mid-first grade level. Magnet and testing both say below K level. To further complicate things my pediatrician relative said that anything below 4th grade level would be considered remedial considering her comprehension. Our pediatrician is on vacation this week but hoping someone covering will be able to get the ball rolling on some of the referrals. DD has had several hearing tests due to ear infections and ENT thinks her hearing is fine.

Master of None hits the nail on the head - she clearly felt unsafe (both emotionally and physically) at the magnet and was in an extremely punitive environment. This was precisely our thinking and thought it was all going to be resolved when we found the private with what looks like a learning environment that is perfect for her. Then came the special ed results.

Which begs the question - are these results really as bizarre as the town is saying or is it typical in a 2E situation and they just don't have the needed experience?