I have found this thread facinating (just in general, but even more so with the added intrigue of some personal tit for tat). There are a lot of factors I hadn't considered in terms of radical acceleration. DD could well need it from an ability perspective, possibly not from a personality perspective (though she's only 5, so perhaps I'm thinking about this too soon). For me every perspective is interesting. I have to say though that I feel Potatoes has been given a rough ride. She's made a choice that others obviously feel are not right for their own families for various reasons. However she has made a decision that she feels is right for her family (and, frankly, one supported by pretty much all research I have read).

I for one am grateful for hearing another perspective. It seems to me Potatoes is being judged by people who are not yet in her shoes (given their children's age) and who are telling her that her decisions (which they have not yet had to make in full and may never have to) are wrong, when clearly they aren't because her child is happy and fulfilled. Horror stories no doubt exist. Howvever I've seen (lived) what happens at the other end, when people go through a lock step schooling and loose out completely as a result - but there are so many factors to such stories. While I am interested in hearing all stories, none are as clear cut as radical acceleration = suicide. There is so much more to people's lives than their and their parent's educational choices.

One of the things I was horrified by when I became a parent was that people were so judgemental of each other and with so little appareciation that we're all, really, making it up as we go along. Us more so than many other parents. What quickly became apparent to me is that we all make decisions about what suits out own families. While Potatoes has pointed out some flaws in others' arguements, I don't feel they have been anywhere near as personal as the attacks on her decisions. I am very impressed by her capacity to stand by the decisions she and her family have made give that even WE are dismissing them. Imagine the fortitude it has take to make those decisions in the face of day to day life. I think as well if you read Potatoes' comments in the context of what else she has posted in the past - this is not someone who pushes their kid. This is someone who takes their child's lead. If you don't think your child would benefit from the the same choices, make different ones (which you obviously are - and more power to you).

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke