Getting back to the original theme of this thread, I just read an interesting piece about a fraternity at Yale. As a hazing stunt, a bunch of pledges stood outside a women's dorm shouting "No means yes! Yes means anal!" It went downhill a bit after that. Here's a video describing it.

Even though this stunt has been criticized heavily, some people have excused it (see the YouTube comments).

The thing though, is that it even happened at all and what that says about the attitudes that allow people to dream up ideas like that and then send younger people out to carry out the idea. Women and girls have to put up with this kind of garbage for most of our lives.

Some people at Yale (and elsewhere based on the YouTube comments) thought this stunt was funny or a good idea. It isn't funny. It's disrespectful, it sends a message (well, more than one), and what's worse is that some of the men who dreamed up this idea will go out into the world and work with women and eventually make hiring decisions. I have a hard time believing that people who reach 21 or so and still be so disrespectful will start seeing women as peers and equals when they get jobs in a year or two.

It's easy for some people who aren't affected by this problem to ignore it or claim that it it isn't a problem anymore, so I'll try to put it in perspective. People whose kids aren't gifted can easily ignore the problems experienced by gifted kids. They're doing fine, right? They shouldn't complain.