Val,

I grew up in a family of six boys and one girl. My father grew up in a family of nine boys and one girl. I have two daughters. My consciousness was raised as a consequence of my being the father of daughters. If I had been the father of sons, I doubt I would have ever gotten a clue about misogyny.

Most males are stupid about females. But what breaks my heart most about misogyny is that girls and women often self-inflict it. For example, a smart woman once responded to me about this � http://supreme-court-gender-equality-pac.blogspot.com/ � by saying: "I'm against it, because we want to always put the best available person on the U.S. Supreme Court."

In sixteen months of trying, I have not succeeded at all in getting any women interested in my proposal. Major female-friendly websites have posted comments by me that have linked to the proposal, but no women have dared to support the idea to my knowledge. Even my sister (who is a very successful physician) has voiced her opposition.

Plainly, I too am stupid about females, even with a raised consciousness. However, I will defend my "stupidity" with this: misogyny will remain fully in place in American society until women share power equally with men. The only place at the top of the U.S. government where shared power can be required by law (meaning: not subject to public elections) is on the U.S. Supreme Court as I have proposed.

As the father of daughters, I think my proposal is fair and just, yet women seem to disagree. It dumbfounds me. A liberal male emeritus professor I know responded to my proposal by saying that women did not deserve the equality, but homosexuals did. So the line forms to the rear, and females are behind all males of color � whatever their color � and all male homosexuals. In other words, last. More than 50% of the population is last.

My advice is this: Do not wait for males to get a clue, because it will never happen unless it is made to happen. Start where you can make the biggest difference, and that is by guaranteeing Gender Equality on the U.S. Supreme Court.

Steven A. Sylwester