Originally Posted by jack'smom
Yes, but studies show that when you account for number of hours worked, etc., women still earn only 80% of what the male physicians earn. This finding is fairly true of most professions in the USA- in corporate law, science, etc., women earn less then men.

I know that in my firm, women and men in the same jobs make the same amount. And I know we pay the same rate for contractors regardless of their sex - and I know from personal discussions with them that they all get paid the same amount.

Despite several lucrative offer$$$$, DW has decided not to run any more companies until the kids are in school due to the 70+ hour weeks it requires. Relative to her peers in the same leadership ranks, she is falling behind, but that is her choice.

I know I have cut back my hours as well for family reasons.

http://reason.com/archives/2007/04/30/the-truth-about-the-pay-gap

As the report acknowledges, women with college degrees tend to go into fields like education, psychology and the humanities, which typically pay less than the sectors preferred by men, such as engineering, math and business. They are also more likely than men to work for nonprofit groups and local governments,

So I not so sure that the "pay gap" exists within each field.