Originally Posted by bianc850a
Hi Grinity,

My daughter is definitely a chameleon. This is exactly why having her in a regular classroom would be dangerous.

I agree!

Having a court of law make a ruling that my DD was a "special needs child" was a big victory for me. According to my attorney, California law only recognizes a child as "a special needs child" when they are at the other end of the spectrum.

Because of this ruling, my XH was required to help with private school tuition. This solved my specific problem.
However, I think the law should recognize an EG child as a "special needs child" all the time and force the public school system to allocate, at the very least, the same financial resources to the Highly gifted as they do to the children who need remedial services.

I find this fasinating. XH is being held to a higher standard than the school system? I thought that all children are entitled to a Free Appropriate Public Education? I can understand if the needs of the Gifted aren't recognised as Appropriate by the law, which after all, reflects the sensibility of the U.S. citizenry, but I would hope that if a Judge can tell that a gifted child has special needs, that the FAPE would kick in to effect. Not that I'm unhappy that your daughter is well placed - that is the main thing. But for everyone of your 'daughter' whoes parents can pay for private school, how many children are there who can not?

Curious,
Grimity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com