So Lori H,
How did you feel about the whole experience? Besides po'd that the doc was stressing your kid, that is! Did it give you info, or a needed referal? Did it back up your insticts?

I have mixed feeling about control and anxiety. My son is in the same "I'm not anxious as long as I'm in control" boat, and I think it's a fine line to walk. If the %of life that needs to be in control is getting smaller, then I think all is well.

Last year there was a tragedy with one of his classmates, and of course, this '% of the world needing to be in control of' whet way up and is only now starting to come down bit by bit.

I'm not a big fan of the mental health profession, and feel that with HG/PG kids it's even harder to find someone who 'gets' our kids, but I would reccomend that you continue to look for ways to teach life-skills that decrease anxiety and need for control. I do believe that it's also important to look for ways to slowly, slowly expand the circle of 'comfortable activities.' Perhaps there is one child that he could do one motor activity in front of that is his strongest at and see how that goes. ((Cookie Decorating popped into my mind, - shrug))

Micro-baby steps have helped us SO much. And of course no one else gets it. So I encourage you to take the advice and break it down into micro-baby steps. We are always looking to give the old, "Balanced Push" ((think one hand pushing from behind and the other placed on the sternum in front so the kid doesn't go flying and fall on their face)) at the child's "Readiness Level." ((I'm guessing that you already are doing this, but perhaps haven't been giving yourself recognition for how important it is.))

Of course it's really impossible to find a kid's readiness level without 'overchallenging' them a bit once in a while. Big advantage of living with them is that we know them so well!

((big giant hug))
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com