My DD10 had a dual ADHD, Asperger's diagnosis. She does not have ADHD, but the ADHD portion helps the school understand that she has a significant issue with executive function, attention and organization. I don't think Asperger's Syndrome is well understood by many in the education system. Putting your son's diagnosis in terms they can understand will better help them provide appropraite services for him.

I obtained the diagnosis recently, in spite of it being removed from the DSM V. I think you will find many in the psychiatry/psychology community are resisting using the the DSM V. Although extremely bright, DD10 had a multitude of issues from a young age. It took me many years to get her a diagnosis, and once I had it I was actually relieved. I think you may find that accepting the diagnosis and garnering services for your son may improve some of his anxiety and disruptive behavior at school. It really helps to have someone who understands your child teaching them. My daughter, like your son had behaviors at school that were being labeled as ODD and defiant. After her diagnosis, they were more understanding in realizing that DD10 wasn't "refusing" to do the work, they just needed to present the information to her in a different way or give her freedom to complete work her way. She also had difficulty correcting the teacher and being admonished for being rude and disruptful. There still some of this behavior in school, but at least with a diagnosis they know she isn't behaving this way intentionally. It is part of her disorder. Things to consider with an Asperger's diagnosis (every child is different, not all will need services in all these areas. I would still get the evaluations though!): OT evaluation for motor skills and sensory issues, Pragmatic language (speech therapy), social skill evaluation, executive function evaluation (BRIEF), visual motor integration (Beery VMI), social/emotional behavioral evaluation (BASC-2, SRS-II, behavioral observations), problem solving, possibly audtiory processing/perception. They are working on her IEP right now. I can post some of the accommodations they come up with if you will find it helpful.

It sounds like your son may be on the midler side of the spectrum, but it couldn't hurt to know his areas of weakness. Regarding his motor skills and writing, you can ask for accommodations like typing using a keyboard and to eliminate copying handwriting work. You wouldn't need a diagnosis for those accommodations and the school can easily implement them without providing writing services. What would probably be the most helpful is social interaction training. They can work on his social communication and his peer interactions. This kind of work will help him function normally in his classroom and later in life as an adult. All very important skills!

kitkat24