Originally Posted by Ametrine
I'm a Christian and believe where one's treasure lies, so lies one's soul.

Assuming one's needs are met: (shelter-not ostentatious; food-not extravagant; clothing-not show-off designer.)

All else is up to one's own own conscience.

If only most would seek the needy in their community, they would realize how shallow their own "needs" really are.

*How would YOU feel if your child(ren) didn't have warm socks for the frigid winter coming?
I would not like it and have planned my life accordingly. Given that there is already a very progressive tax code in the U.S., and that much federal and state spending goes to entitlements and transfer programs, to what extent is a wealthy person morally obliged to donate his after-tax income? Does he do more good by investing or donating? Earnings depend on the value one creates for others, so helping one's children prepare for high-earning careers is a "socially conscious" form of child-rearing.

I don't want my children to be "materialistic", but that statement is almost tautologous. Very few people consider themselves materialistic or believe they live in a "McMansion". It is easier to identify the garish consumption of others.