I am in awe. What beautiful spirit, and what hope for humankind is revealed through many of these posts. smile

When does it cross the line into materialism?
When the focus is on the "stuff"? When we lose sight of each other as persons, and only see the pile of stuff, net worth, circumstances, or title of an individual? When there is greed, when there is envy; These are two sides of the same coin. When the prevailing attitude is that the amount of stuff implies superiority? For this reason, I'm not fond of what the Santa story has come to be: As the poor and underprivileged may not receive gifts (or comparable gifts) are these children to understand they are on Santa's "naughty" list?
Very different from the popularized mythical Santa Claus who some regard as a secular deity, you can see a link about various aspects of the historical Saint Nicholas from whom he morphed, here. Warning: Link contains brief history with scant bibliography, theology, dogma faith-based simplicity.

A parallel can be drawn between materialism and giftedness: When achievement is used as the measure of a person, when a gifted label is coveted as a badge of superiority, when character is forsaken. What is seen on the outside does not reveal what is inside. Continuing the parallel, redistributing material goods and enforcing equal educational outcomes may change what is observable on the surface, but it does not tend to bring about good things in character as it changes the locus of control.

Internal locus of control, motivation to strive and persist, hope of achieving something which is personally rewarding*, cultivating personal satisfaction, experiencing joy at another's success, volunteering to ensure others have opportunity, and ultimately finding something in common with others despite differences... may be the antithesis of materialism.

*personally rewarding meaning: internally congruent, based on one's own values, not imprinted or dictated by another. Not meaning: self-centered or narcissistic.

As concerns about materialism may apply to the OP considering enrolling children to attend a school which may have a very different SES:
1) Families have been doing this for generations, with parents and kids emphasizing the good found in it
and sucking up the rest. The book at #4 can be helpful in interpreting some situations so there is less to suck up, misunderstand, or feel frustrated about.
2) Every opportunity has both good and bad.
3) You may find differences to be less about materialism, more about observing other's "norms".
4) Parents may wish to read the book "Crossing the Tracks for Love" by Ruby Pane, which discusses some SES differences, and tips for recognizing, interpreting, negotiating them, often from her personal experiences. I found the discussion of food quite interesting.

Personally I would read the book, and save the money for college.