Are you being true to your values and the values you want to impart to your children? That's what I ask myself frequently. Sometimes the kids seem so self centered! And I worried, really worried about over indulgence causing the "mom, it broke, I need another one" attitude. And not practicing piano but expecting piano lessons anyway. And wanting to go out to dinner and order whatever they want. Those things went against my values. Others might see no big deal. So, we worked on changing them. If you are true to your values, you are doing fine.

But, I too struggle with the private school option. DD can compete for a high school scholarship to a prestigious private school. But, do we want that? I would guess some people would say that you do better in life when your friends have influence and means. If she wins a spot, will I send her? Is the education really better when you cut out 2/3rds of the population? You have to be above 70Percentile academically and wealthy enough to afford tuition.

Last edited by master of none; 12/18/13 03:22 PM. Reason: first try cut off half the post