Originally Posted by Cricket2
Originally Posted by ReaderGirl
Wouldn’t ability scores only be on IQ tests? I thought IQ tests don’t have reading subtests.
True, IQ tests don't have reading components but they do have verbal components and people who are considered gifted in a Language Arts/Reading/Writing realm based on high ability usually fall into that category based on consideration of verbal ability (analogies, vocab, etc.). Ability scores are pretty much IQ scores but there are multiple choice "ability" tests as well such as the CogAT, OLSAT, etc. I'm not personally a huge fan of them b/c multiple choice has a lot of issues for some kids.

I agree I'm a little fixated, but can't you be talented at it just like sports or art?
Absolutely and that's part of the reason I don't love the whole term "gifted and talented." Those are two different things to me. Gifted, whether it be in sports, art, or academic pursuits refers to an innate difference. Talented refers to achievement in the pursuit which may occur even in one without an innate difference in wiring, ability, etc.

Of course, this is all my personal opinion wink. I'd suspect that, b/c this board tends to draw more families of highly gifted kids (those with IQ scores around the 99th percentile or so), I may not be way out of the norm here, but perhaps that is fodder for a new thread!

I really appreciate all the help and time you've given me. smile

OK. I didn't have any multiple choice testing, but I did get the analogy one.

Which one do you think better applies here? I mean, I want to believe the psych since he's the one that did the testing and sat down with me, plus, he hit the memory thing right on the nose which no one ever caught before...

Should I believe him?

Sigh. This is really complicated.