Originally Posted by Cricket2
Originally Posted by ReaderGirl
I know I don’t have the gifted label for IQ, and I’m OK with that, but would the psych really say I was a gifted reader if I wasn’t?
I guess that depends on how s/he is defining "gifted reader." Is it in terms of achievement or verbal ability? I tend to define gifted as ability moreso than achievement, but I know that not all do. For instance, my local school system would most likely define you as gifted in reading as well b/c they define gifted in reading as high achievement coupled with something like teacher recommendation, parental recommendation, high grades, behavior such as sensitivity, or ability scores.

I think achievement, but I did tell him about my reading on a nearly 7th grade level in fourth so he probably took that into consideration, although I did not mention the pull-out reading program I was in during K, or the reading before K.

I think I’d be less likely to feel like giftedness explained it if my parents were more into reading. I mean, I don’t think I would’ve gotten into it so much if I didn’t have a knack for it, especially being in an environment that didn’t and still doesn’t encourage it.

All I know is that reading has always come naturally to me, so it must be a talent or a gift or something. I’ve never, ever had to work at it, and I’m grateful for that.

Wouldn’t ability scores only be on IQ tests? I thought IQ tests don’t have reading subtests.

I really appreciate your trying to answer all of my questions. It means a lot to me. Thank you.