Originally Posted by ReaderGirl
OK.

I think I'm just looking for an answer to everything, as to why I'm different, why I'm bored a lot. That kind of thing.

So, basically, I can trust what my psych said as long as I understand that my scores/diagnosis are going to mean different things to different people/professionals?
Sounds good to me smile !

Can I ask why there's even a gifted label to start with? Isn't "advanced" a good enough term? Excuse me if I'm being REALLY naive here! smile
I don't think that's naive at all in that it is something that is frequently discussed among experts in the field and parents alike. I think that, initially, the term gifted was in place to distinguish high IQ from other things, but then it morphed to mean a lot of different things. The term itself is not well loved b/c it implies that those who don't fall under that umbrella are lacking gifts.

eta: I've always liked this essay b/c it defines gifted more as a qualitative difference, which is what I see it as as well: http://www.georgeparkyncentre.org/documents/high-achievers-pdf.pdf

For me, that's the reason "advanced" isn't enough b/c it isn't just about academic advancement.

Last edited by Cricket2; 06/17/12 06:30 PM.