my DD8 has had issues not wanting to do work and acting out in various ways since K. No one EVER suggested she should skip or that she might be acting out from boredom. They don't do testing in our district until 2nd grade anyway, so THIS is the first year we might actually get something done.

I will tell you, from our experrience that first, YOU need to decide what you think is best for your child. Are you committed to giving him what he needs, even if it does offend some people, because it probably will, somewhere along the road.

I'm kind of confused, if the teacher AND principal are acknowledging he is gifted and giving him advanced math, why wouldn't the teacher let him work ahead? I think it sounds like at least the principal knows what's up and probably wouldn't be offended. Approach it from a teamwork angle, you ALL want what is best for your child and can work together, but you do have to communicate.

I'm working really hard right now to keep my DD from being labeled a troublemaker. It has been suggested that she learned BAD habits in previous years, which I agree with and she is a very complex little person who resists doing more and more work each year. Right now, our school won't even consider giving her more challenging work because she often resists doing classwork, even though she tests at the top of the standard tests. It's like they don't know what to do with a gifted but non performing child.

Don't wait. Be an advocate for your child. Listen to what your child is telling you that he wants and needs. You are in the right place smile

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...