A few things to keep in mind when discussing schools and bullying:

Observing the legal obligation of confidentiality when working with students with a behavior disorder often looks exactly like, "Doing nothing" to other children and their parents. For example, modifying a behavior support plan or even having a behavior support plan is not something teachers are allowed to talk to other students or parents about.

I know that many of my students in inner-city, remote rural, and suburban schools have parents who tell them, "If somebody hits you, you hit them back!" But I cannot advocate that approach. For one thing, my experience tells me that the second hit is often done out of a blind rage. At this point, the students don't care that their return strike is out of proportion, that they are getting themselves in trouble, or that someone else might get hurt (like the teacher standing behind the student they push on the playground or trying to stand between the fighting students).

Secondly, Secret Service research finds that a high proportion of school shooters were bullied. In particular, students who struck back violently, stopped the bullying, and earned respect that way.

Which is not to say that most students in that situation do not grow up to lead healthy and productive lives. A good friend of mine who threw bullies down the stairs in middle school is a sweet guy who earned a decent officer's rank in the military, was voted Kiwanian of the Year at least once, and keeps enough firearms to arm a platoon and his attic, along with a bunch of books and maps.

Having studied the subject of bullying extensively, I believe in telling students to stand up for each other, teaching them social skills when needed, and trying to ensure that every student has an adult they trust at school.

And I live with the knowledge that no matter how good a teacher I am, somebody may shoot me anyway.