I'm no expert by any means but it sounds to me that from being stifled with all the things he's been labled with he has regressed himself. He may also have decided he isn't socially comfortable with the children at his intellectual level. I have talked with several parents of kids who were a few grade levels above their age who could not be placed with those students because they simply felt out of place and could not perform. My own son, while in daycare at age 2, was clearly ready to potty train at home but when I asked about his daycare training him they informed me that the classroom he was in was not one that focused on potty training. They moved him to the next room up and tried training him there and not only would he not have anything to do with the potty but he would not do anything else we already KNEW he was able to do such as color, shape, letter identification etc. I was told that he wasn't "socially comfortable" because he wasn't with the friends and teachers he knew. Your son may find comfort in being the most intellectual of his peer group as well and that may be why he's seeking out these other children. Obviously their acceptance of him and demand for his attention and play time is going to weigh in as a factor for him too. I don't think my son likes to skateboard AT ALL but there are 2 or 3 boys up the street who do it ALL the time and my son wants to be part of their group so bad that he has taken up skateboarding. *rolls eyes* I don't know what to say about the diagnosis your son has been given. I am no medical expert and so I'll just say you're the parent and you have to go with your gut and read the book reccommended because it sure can't hurt. IT IS SO COMMON for kids who are HG and PG to regress themselves if they aren't challenged enough and sometimes when they are masked with other diagnosis it is really hard to challenge them. I have found some really interesting techniques to use with my kids and sometimes I still have to switch things up. Good luck and welcome to the board. (I'm kind of new here too but I never shut up! *snicker*)

M.

"Learning can only happen when a child is interested. If he's not
interested it's like throwing marshmallows at his head and calling it
eating." -Anonymous