Wow! What a fantastic book. Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnosis of Gifted Children and Adults, has been a magnificent resource for me. It was recommended to me by our state's Department of Education Gifted Education Director. I've used tons of little sticky notes in it and have had it near to hand since I got it last Friday.

We had a neuropsych. eval of Mite, 8, and the psychologist didn't even meet him, or me, or read through his school district eval thoroughly before tossing him into Nonverbal Learning Disorder because of the discrepancy between his VCI and his PRI. Had, she read things thoroughly and chatted with Mite or me, she would have ruled that out due to great social functioning. The only thing he really has difficulty with is the visual-spatial stuff, the the educational psychologist felt Mite did those things very, very slowly because of perfectionism and performance anxiety.

This book indicates that such discrepancies are common among the gifted and may not indicate problems at all, while some may show learning disability. I truly feel Mite's motor skills are significantly delayed, but really feel his reasoning ability and speed are intact and are in fact excellent. This book supports my beliefs in those areas and gives me hope for Mite.

I feel like I'm seeing a light at the end of a very long tunnel.

Willa Gayle