EXACTLY!!! YES YES and AMEN SISTER!!! chuckle

I so can agree with these posts. That's exactly why I've been living with this book at my side.

The very first thing the teacher in 2nd grade had to offer re: Mite's inattentiveness in class was ADHD. In Kindergarten we told the teacher Mite was reading and she said he wasn't. In second grade we told the teacher Mite had a dyspraxia and even brought his medical OT in to talk with her about it, but no, the teacher didn't agree. "Many little boys have messy writing habits". Then in second grade we were dismayed when Mite was slammed into the middle to low reading and math classes when we knew his ability was much higher. We didn't even know he was a gifted as he is, but we knew he was much brighter than the teachers were seeing. He wasn't a behavior problem. He was getting "satisfactory" grades. However, he'd withdraw, become depressed, and rub things in his fingers.

Finally, after a long fight with the district, we got them to evaluate Mite. Lo and behold, a kid with a very high iq and very poor, severely delayed fine motor skills.

Well, thank goodness the district ed psychologist, is intelligent and capable and sees "asynchronous development" instead of horrible medical disorders. Thank goodness, he recognizes the "dyspraxia" as a valid side effect of very high intelligence.

We've gone on to the medical world to get a more thorough evaluation of Mite, but were shocked to see the neuro. psychologist slam Mite into "nonverbal learning disorder" without even MEETING him, or reading the ed psych's evaluation notes where he states that Mite is very highly socially developed with a great sense of humor and great patience and perseverance. So, the neuorpsychologist was ready to label him as "NLD" and ADHD without even evaluating him. I really want to scream at the woman. The ed psych, after nearly 30 hours of observing Mite, said that Mite's inattentiveness was very specific to activities involving fine motor skills..

Anyhow...the medical and education community are hopeless in helping and educating the very bright child...let alone the highly to profoundly bright child.

Thank GAWD for this book!!!! I'm well armed now. My son will get the help he needs, and by golly, I'll make sure to spread this information so other kids will get this info too.

Willa Gayle